If you’re purchasing your first ATV for yourself or someone else, there are some important things you should know. First, consider purchasing one of the used ATV’s before investing in a brand new machine. We occasionally have a good assortment of used ATV’s here at Marine Service Center.
1. Take a hands on training course. Formal training teaches drivers how to control ATVs in typical situations. Drivers with formal, hands-on ATV training have a lower injury risk than drivers with no formal training.
2. When riding an ATV always wear protective gear, especially a helmet. Many injuries on ATVs are head injuries. Wearing a helmet can reduce the severity of head injuries. Purchase a motorcycle or other motorized sports helmet that is certified by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and/or the Snell Memorial Foundation. In addition, wear over-the-ankle boots, goggles, gloves, long pants, and a long-sleeved shirt to protect against cuts, abrasions, and other injuries from rocks, trees, and other debris.
3. Do not carry passengers. The majority of ATVs are designed to carry only one person. ATVs are designed for interactive riding – drivers must be able to shift their weight freely in all directions, depending on the terrain. Interactive riding is critical to maintaining safe control of an ATV especially on varying terrain. Passengers can make it difficult for drivers to control the ATV.
5. Don’t allow children younger than 14-16 to operate ATVs or ride adult ATVs. Children are involved in about one-third of all ATV-related deaths and hospital emergency room injuries. Most of these deaths and injuries occur when a child is driving or riding on an adult ATV. Children under 16 on adult ATVs are twice as likely to be injured as those riding youth ATV.
6. Never operate an ATV while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Follow these safe riding tips and you’ll have a long and fun filled future with your new machine. If you want to take a look at our used ATV’s give us a call at 843-399-9283 and we’ll tell you what we have available for inventory in our showroom.